TERS is a COVID-19 relief measure introduced by government which provides employers with cashflow to continue to pay employees. You can find a more in-depth recap on TERS on our blog here.
Adding the TERS payment to a payslip
The employer acts as the conduit for these payments and therefore the payments should not attract PAYE, UIF or SDL. They are also not reported on IRP5s / IT3(a)s. To save you time and to minimise any potential stress associated with setting the payslip item up incorrectly, we have created a system item for these payments.
To add the system item to an individual employee’s payslip:
- Go to the employee’s profile
- Click on Add next to Payslip Inputs
- Select TERS Payout under Other
- Enter the amount that needs to be paid to the employee
- Click Save
To bulk add the system item to the payslips of employees:
- Go to Employees > Bulk Actions > Payslip Inputs
- Use the filters to select the relevant pay frequency, payslip date and pay point
- Then use the filters to select TERS Payout under Other
- Click on the checkbox next to an employee’s name to add the item to their payslip*
- Enter the amount for each employee*
- Then click Save under the filters to save your changes.
*Remember, you can click on the dropdown arrow next to the heading and then select Copy first value down to apply the first employee’s entry to all employees in a faster manner.